The Hon. Martin David Kiar, Commissioner, Broward County
The Compact Year in Review (view video)
Steve Adams, Senior Program Director, US Climate Adaptation Program, Institute for Sustainable Communities
Real Estate, Development, and Insurance in Florida – Rough Seas or Smooth Sailing? (view video)
Climate related impacts cost the nation more than $100 billion in post disaster recovery in 2012. The vulnerability of the built environment to severe weather events and sea level rise exposes private insurers, the federal government, and individuals to financial risk. With a growing proportion of the nation’s population projected to reside in coastal areas in the coming decades, what does the future hold for the real estate, financial, and insurance markets? Experts will discuss the risks, responsibilities, and opportunities for our region.
- Margaret Davidson, Acting Director, Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Carl Hedde, Senior Vice President and Head of Risk Accumulation, Munich Re America
- Samantha Medlock, Policy and Partnerships Program Manager, Association of State Floodplain Managers
- Dev Motwani, President, Merrimac Ventures
- Jack Lansing, Vice President – Investments, UBS Financial
It’s (Almost) Always Sunny in Southeast Florida – Energy and Design Strategies for Our Communities (view video)
The demand for renewable and efficient energy options is growing, as new technologies are developed and the financial benefits increase. How are programs and planning efforts readying our region for a low- and no-carbon future? Government and industry experts will describe the rapidly changing landscape of sustainable energy and transportation options.
- The Hon. Cindy Lerner, Mayor, Village of Pinecrest, Florida
- Patrick Sheehan, Director, Office of Energy, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Blaine Collison, Director, Green Power Partnership, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Armando Linares, Deputy Director, Environmental Protection and Growth Management Department, Broward County
- Buck Martinez, Director, Office of Clean Energy, Florida Power & Light Company
Dr. Debra Roberts, Deputy Head, Environmental Planning and Climate Protection Department, eThekwini Municipality (Durban, South Africa) (download presentation)
We, the People: Growing the Grassroots (view video)
Southeast Florida is the canary in the coal mine for sea level rise. While local leadership can advance progressive policy and planning initiatives, regional and national resilience will ultimately require commitment and action on the part of all individuals. How can we engage the people of our region to understand the coming impacts and to take action? (And what kind of action are we talking about?) A diverse group of community leaders will share their insights.
- Shannon Estenoz, Director of Everglades Restoration Initiatives, US Department of the Interior
- Caroline Lewis, Founder and Executive Director, CLEO Institute
- Jan Booher, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Boca Raton
- Elizabeth Yeampierre, Executive Director, UPROSE
- Kathe Thompson, Palm Beach League of Women Voters
The Politics of Change – County Leadership and Regional Resilience (view video)
Established in 2009 at the first Climate Leadership Summit by the four counties of southeast Florida, the Compact has become a national model for effective regional action. County leaders will reflect on the successes of the Compact to date and the next steps for their counties and the region as a whole.
- Jim Murley, Executive Director, South Florida Regional Planning Council
- The Hon. Kristin Jacobs, Mayor, Broward County
- The Hon. Steven Abrams, Mayor, Palm Beach County
- The Hon. George Neugent, Mayor, Monroe County
- Jack Osterholt, Deputy Mayor, Miami-Dade County